Friday, September 26, 2014

Well... I CARE! || NAMI Walk 2014

On Saturday, October 18th, I will be taking a great step in not only my fitness journey, but in general my life journey. On that day, I will be completing my first 5K by participating in the NAMI Walk.

I'm really excited about it.

Mental illness has been a huge part of my life. My mother has had bipolar disorder since I was a young child. Andcas a child there's one thing you learn about mental illness... You don't tell anyone about it. It was likely that kind of culture that led to me having my own challenges with anxiety and depression. Nonetheless, feeling unable to control my life and seeing my mom become someone else throughout my life, while suffering in silence led to my vowing, in high school, to never work in the behavioral health field...

Fast forward to 5 years later and I ended up becoming a behavioral health case manager for youth.

Funny how God works.
Over the years I realized that all of the things I witnessed and experienced were there to equip me for what was to come. I've managed to remain at this job for 4 years (in December) and each day I grow and learn and appreciate my life.
Through the years I've developed a passion for mental health awareness, so being a part of this walk is an expression of that.
I've participated in the NAMI Walk for the past 2 years and this upcoming walk will make it 3. I don't think I've ever asked for donations for my participation in this walk, but there was something about this one that I felt a need to go a step further.
With the way mental illness has played a part with my entire family over this past year, I felt that it was almost symbolic of me to not only participate in the walk, but to do my first 5K as a part of the NAMI Walk.
It's all ironic, but I'm really excited about it all.

I say I'm a rebel with a cause (or 5) and this is just one of them.

So... Click the link & Sponsor Me Here if you're able. NAMI is such a great resource for so many of us affected by mental illness that it's so worth it to support. Giving even a dollar will provide this organization and families out there with needed resources and supports to end the stigma on mental illness and educate others on mental health.

Stay Blessed y'all.
❤❤
-Benita (:

No comments:

Post a Comment