Saturday, November 29, 2014

Well... I CARE! || Get Involved!

So, if I learned anything growing up, it was the importance of giving back to your community.

If I knew anything, I knew that I was going to be active in my community when I became a successful adult.

I was going to be like my mom who was so involved in my schools that she was PTA President for my brother's middle school, an active member for me and my sister through middle school, she was a crossing guard when we were in elementary school, and she remained involved with our schools through middle.
I was going to be like my dad who was our Civic League President for quite a few years (I flashback now to hating having to attend every meeting).
I wasn't necessarily going to do those things, but my goal was to be involved.

When I got into high school I was involved in school politics, I mentored and volunteered at the local elementary school. I was excited about the potential for visiting my high school post-graduation and talking to the students and talking about my experiences in college.

That was me.

Then I got to college.
And it was a different world. And I was car-less. Which meant I only went home during school breaks. Like summer. And even those became shorter. I eventually fell off, however I became active in the town my college was in and on-campus.

Then I graduated... And moved across the country.

Four years later and I realize that although I'm very active in my church and my job is one that permits me to interact with many people in the populations I developed a passion for helping, I wasn't very connected to my community, outside of church. There are multiple reasons for that, but since I'm not here to discuss my laziness we won't discuss all of those.
Granted the cultures are different, so organizations, outreach efforts and events are limited (or just difficult to identify), but my efforts were still significantly less than the heart that I had.

So when the Ferguson verdict tragedy occurred I was reminded of who I am and who I wanted to be growing up.

Involved.

Although I'm not exactly sure how to start outside of college and church, I DO know of a few organizations that are nationwide and, therefore, I'm starting with them.

I'm writing this post for the people like me who KNOW something needs to be done and they want to be involved, but aren't exactly sure where to start.
I might consider documenting my efforts because I'm really hopeful to help others out there, but I can't make any promises.

For now please check-out some organizations that can help get you plugged in.

The National Urban League:
http://nul.iamempowered.com/

YWCA:
www.ywca.org

NAACP:
www.naacp.org

Hope this helps! I know that my being in Arizona already presents as a disadvantage with most of these organizations as they are generally not as active as they are in Virginia (where I'm from), but... I HAVE to start somewhere.

Stay Blessed y'all.
💙💙
-Benita (:

No comments:

Post a Comment