Saturday, November 29, 2014

What are we Fighting for?!

Over the past weeks since a Grand Jury decided not to indict Darren Wilson for killing Michael Brown, then the decision to not endict the police officers responsible for Eric Garner's death there have been numerous efforts made, across the nation, to express the concerns of the community.

Although I ABSOLUTELY love the idea of peaceful protests that will go noticed, especially those that are creative and involve the masses, I still have yet to see two things:

1) A leader or set or leaders who, for all intents and purposes will, if anything, be the face of these protests. This/These people would also create...
2) A shared vision.

While one thing is clear, we can agree we want to feel that Black lives matter; I have not seen a real indicator of HOW we will know that others are getting the memo.
This is why I must ask: 

What are we fighting for?

I've seen and felt the anger, confusion, fear, hurt, disappointment, and almost every other emotion that has been brought on over the past few weeks, however when it has come to "organized" protests I have to sit back.

I'm ALL for jumping into the discussion while the fire is still burning, however, when no leader(s) arises AND we haven't created sound reasons for each effort, I'm skeptical.

I can have completely different motives for why I engage in a protest than the organizer or even the person beside me. Given that reason alone and many others it's very difficult for me to fully support these efforts. And although people have posted change.org petitions (or the like), the people who are creating these petitions aren't known and these people aren't necessarily at the forefront of any of these protests.

With the internet and all kinds of social media, I think people take face-to-face interactions and general organization skills for granted. I say this because a LOT of the efforts I have seen over these past few weeks have solely been advertised through some form of social media. Even the discussions are online. I'm looking for someone to not just organize through Facebook, but, maybe, possibly, knock on my door...Maybe?

I said in my last post that I'm not a fan of, what's basically, the "bandwagon effect" that occurs with my peers. But it's not JUST because of the bandwagoners that I have a little bit of a problem with social media. It's mainly because through constant reposting, vision gets clouded.
It's literally like playing telephone.

And I mainly fear that people who are organizing these events aren't even creating a clear vision other than being heard.

Just the other day I reposted a photo regarding a protest that was affectionately called a "Die in" which was very reminiscent of the sit-ins that occurred in the 50s.
I loved the creativity of it, but almost immediately after reposting it, a thought entered my mind... What's the end goal of this protest?

During the Civil Rights movement of the 1900s, there was a HUGE goal to desegregate public establishments. From schools, to buses, to... restaurants. When, at one point segregation was legal, these people were making many efforts to change the laws.

So... Fastforward to these past few weeks and I have to admit, I'm a little confused. "Dying" in a mall to the point of the mall having to shutdown does what in effect to police brutality, systematic racism, prejudice, or the many other issues that the Mike Brown case (if I can now even call it that) brought up? And this is a VERY literal question because in my mind I don't see it.

Are there, right now, people attempting to have something legally changed in order to move forward? I NEED to know!
Because either all of these efforts are premature (because these fires will burn out before any real efforts are made) or... someone is doing a REALLY bad job at getting the word out.

So... To end this, if someone can let me know what's REALLY going on, please do. I legitimately want to be involved, just not with mess or pointlessness & this is looking and feeling a lot like that...

Stay Blessed y'all,
❤❤
-Benita (:

No comments:

Post a Comment