Sunday, June 27, 2010

My Cause

 So, I recently went on dosomething.org and while visiting the site I felt encouraged to start a blog particularly related to issues affecting and involving at-risk youth and families. Growing up I always knew that I wanted to work with children, but it was not until I became a high school student that I realized how, in particular, I wanted to work with them. I became a psyc major with the objective of being a counselor in the school system. Not a guidance counselor, but more of a school psychologist. After being in college a few years, that changed and I am now working on being a social worker, well I will when I go to graduate school next year. This means that now, I will be dedicating my career towards assisting others reach their full potential. It is what makes me happy. Being black and from a lower income area has given me the opportunity to understand certain needs of my communities and I have found that it is necessary for us to help each other.

In essence this blog will be some of my own thoughts, but it will also include videos, articles, and books that dig a little into this topic. I'm currently reading Martin Luther King Jr.'s book Where Do We Go From Here Chaos or Community? I'm over half way through and think the thoughts that have developed from what I have read so far will be my first few blogs. Until I post those, I just wanted to write this first. Hope you enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment